We welcome enquiries from altruistic sperm donors. Donating sperm enables people who would otherwise be unable to have a family to have children of their own. If you are aged between 18 and 41 and are healthy there is probably no reason why you can’t help other people in this way.
However, it’s important to understand the legal aspects and the implications of sperm donation. At the Agora, we can advise you about what’s involved and help you access legal advice. By donating at a clinic that is licensed by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA), you will not be legally responsible for any children that are born as a result of your sperm donation and your name will not appear on the birth certificate. You will have no rights over the children, and are not liable for any financial support.
- You will need to be available to make regular visits to the Agora for a minimum of four weeks to provide enough samples (ideally around five samples)
- There should not be any family history of inherited diseases or mental illness
- We offer counselling to all our sperm donors to make sure they understand – and are happy about – the implications
- All donors are asked to fill out a questionnaire about their health and to have blood tests and screening to check for various diseases
- We usually ask donors to produce sperm on site at the Agora and we provide facilities for this
Do I get paid?
HFEA regulations allow us to reimburse sperm donors a single fee of £35 per donation to cover their expenses.
What will children born as a result of my sperm donation know about me?
When you donate sperm, you will be asked to fill in a form with information about yourself including:
- Marital status
- Children (how many you have, if any)
- Physical characteristics
- Ethnic group
- Medical history
You will also be asked to write a message to any children born using your sperm, along with a general description of what you are like. This information is held by the HFEA and can be given to any child aged over 18 born as a result of your donation.