Acupuncture is an ancient system of Chinese medicine that has been used for over two thousand years to restore, promote and maintain good health. It involves inserting fine needles into the skin at specific points to affect your body’s physiology.
Commonly used alongside conventional medicine, it is safe and effective. We recommend that patients consider using acupuncture in preparation for, and during, their fertility treatment, as many people find it beneficial.
Treatment at the Agora can be arranged with our acupuncture specialist Rick Mudie who, with your consent, will have access to your notes, as well as direct contact with the team involved in your care. Sessions can be fully integrated into your treatment programme.
What are the possible benefits of using acupuncture for fertility? Although there is some medical evidence to support the claims that acupuncture is beneficial alongside fertility treatment, further studies are needed to understand exactly why. Current research suggests that benefits may include:
- Improved function of the ovaries to produce higher quality eggs
- Regulation of hormones associated with pregnancy
- Feeling more relaxed
- Experiencing less nausea and other symptoms during early pregnancy
- Reducing the side-effects of IVF medications
- Strengthening the immune system and increasing energy
- Increasing the chances of conceiving
- Decreasing the chances of miscarriage
How much treatment do I need?
Treatment plans vary from person to person. However, as a guide, you may be advised to have acupuncture every 1 to 2 weeks leading up to and during pregnancy.